Thursday, December 1, 2016

Love is... Blog by Dakota Trace with Contest!!

So, this post on Facebook caught my eye. What is love? Well, you’d think with me being a romance author, it would be all about hearts, flowers, candy and some dashing hero who might sweep me off my feet. But as a single mom, who doesn’t necessarily believe in the fairytale happily ever after that Disney promised? Well, she’s more realistic. And let me say this upfront – I’m not knocking the happily ever after scenario. It does happen in real life – if you’re lucky – and work at it. My grandparents celebrated nearly 45 years together before the good Lord called grandpa home.
But that’s not what this post is about. I want to talk about the insignificant side of love. And before you say, “Wait, Dakota! Love is never insignificant,” let me elaborate. When I was little, I loved to draw, to color – basically do anything that I could express my creative side. (And guess what thirty years later and I’m still creating). Anyway, as most kids of my age, I got super excited when Crayola came out with the big box of crayons – the one with the sharpener in the back? Knowing money was tight, I knew it would have to be a birthday present. And of course, my dad delivered. For my seventh birthday, I got a jumbo coloring book, a ream of notebook paper, AND a 64 count box of Crayola’s. I was on top of the world! I colored and drew to my heart’s content, knowing that when the crayon got flat I could sharpen it up again.
Then the unthinkable happened. My sharpener jammed one afternoon. I couldn’t sharpen my favorite purple crayon. Or any other crayon for that matter. I was more than a little upset – I was distraught in only the way a seven year old girl can be. That’s when my dad taught me how the little things were important. Even dead tired from working a double shift at the auto shop, he came in, saw how upset I was, and not only tore apart my sharpener, he taught me how to do it – that way if it happened again I could fix it myself. (And not because he didn’t want to, but because he said, one day sweetie I won’t be around to fix it. And I’ll be damned if my little girl goes without because no one taught her how to fix it.)
Which is how I ended up being one of the few girls on my block that could not only cook for a family of five and keep a house clean, I also could help rebuild a small block 302 , change my own oil, AND mow her own lawn.
By showing me how to fix (clean out) a simple sharpener (a rather insignificant act in the grand scheme of things) he loved me enough to teach me to be self-sufficient.
As an adult and mother myself, I now find myself teaching my kids the same lesson (or at least trying to.)


Benevolent Master:
Single mom, Alyce O'Connell is a desperate woman. With her thesis almost complete on the intricate relationships between dominants and submissives she thinks she’s found a way to better her and daughter’s life - until her adviser won't sign off on it. Dr. Gylberte insists that Alyce needs some actual in 'the field' experience. While she can't believe the woman is going to withhold her approval until Alyce has experienced at least a few weeks in the role of a dominant or submissive, Alyce is willing to do anything to get it - including begging the man at the door of New Beginnings to help her.

Kaleb Terzis loves his life. He not only gets to help kids by running one of the most popular youth art centers in Napa Valley, he also works part time as a Dominant at New Beginnings with several of his friends. He's footloose and free - content to play the field of willing submissives, until a desperate woman comes into the club, all in the name of research. Even as he’s prepared to hand off Alyce to Master Ethan, he changes his mind when Alyce shivers at his touch and turns those needy eyes his way. Attracted to the cool beauty despite her resemblance to his ex-wife, he takes her on - determined to prove that under her impersonal demeanor is a woman who needs to submit.

He just never expects her to turn the tables on him…


BUY LINKS:


Author Bio:


Dakota is a simple Midwest girl, who has found her passion in storytelling at a young age. Her father was always saying she was making up the craziest stories. Most remained unwritten though as writing wasn't Dakota's strong suit. That all changed in junior high when she took her first typing class. Problem solved for the dyslexic Dakota. There was no stopping her after that. She wrote her first novel her freshman year about a girl who could speak to animals on an old electric IBM typewriter and never looked back. Writing in several different genres, she is now a published author with multiple books under her belt. When Dakota isn't writing, she's a crazy mom of three teenagers, a slightly neurotic pup and squirrely cat.


To find out more about Dakota visit her at dakotatrace.net.

To sign up for Dakota's Newsletter go to:

https://madmimi.com/signups/subscribe/51302



To be entered into Dakota's contest in the comment section answer this question : When you think of someone you love who taught you the most about yourself, who comes to mind? A parent? a friend? Yourself? or another influence?


please be sure to put your emails in the comments too.

2 comments:

momofemmett said...

My husband is who I think of most often. I was 20 when I met him, he was 29. He taught me the most that I needed to know in life, if I was willing to learn. Forty-two years together, and he still can teach me things, but he's not above cooking, cleaning, and doing other things to help me out! Jan momofemmett@gmail.com - http://tinyurl.com/hpx69b3

sassytdw said...

My mother

sassytw@gmail.com