Tuesday, July 12, 2016

The Only Option by Megan Derr

Title: The Only Option
Series: Dubious, 4
Author: Megan Derr
Publisher: All Romance eBooks, LLc
Genre and Pairing: Paranormal and M/M
Word Count: 30,000
Reviewer Name: Luna
Publisher Buy Link:
 

Publisher Blurb
A desperate dragon. A lonely necromancer. A marriage neither wants.

When he is summoned to the royal castle, Rochus anticipates nothing more than a particularly difficult assignment. The bothersome journey is almost made worthwhile when he is propositioned by a young, beautiful dragon, Tilo, who seems untroubled by the fact that Rochus is a necromancer.

When Rochus arrives at the castle he is ordered to marry the very same dragon he spent the night with. Though Rochus would rather sign papers and return home, he is helpless against Tilo's pleas for help, even if it means spending more time around a man he is desperately drawn to but who doesn’t seem to want him.






Review
Necromancers have their uses but young studs are not vying for their company. So when Rochus finds himself the object of a young dragon’s focus, he is sure it is nothing more than a prank. But Tilo wants the necromancer and is determined to have his night. In The Only Option by Megan Derr, Tilo’s determination opens a can of worms he wasn’t quite expecting. Can he convince Rochus that he means well?
I struggled with this story. It began well. The chemistry between Tilo and Rochus felt believable, in the beginning. The set-up felt believable. Ms. Derr succeeded in snagging my interest. But as the story progressed I found myself getting annoyed. I did not like Rochus. He acted so much younger than he was and persisted and interrupting all explanations Tilo tried to give. I understood why at the beginning but it continued throughout most of the story. At some point he needed to allow Tilo an opportunity. He was so focused on himself and his feelings I lost whatever empathy I had for him. I understood that his sense of self-worth was low but for me it persisted way too long. I liked Tilo. He wanted what was best for his people. He may have been young but his heart was in the right place.
Overall I thought this story was okay. This was my first time reading Ms. Derr’s work. Her premise was interesting and unusual. Though this story concept was hard for me to completely understand and read, I will read her again in the future.


                     Four Twinkling Stars

No comments: