Monday, June 27, 2016

Ben by JP Barnaby

Title: Ben
Series: Survivor Stories, 2
Author: JP Barnaby
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
Genre: MM, Contemporary, BDSM
Pages: 200
Reviewer: Redz












Publisher's Blurb
From her perch on a shelf above my bed, the doll accuses me with lifeless eyes of failing Juliette in the most heinous way imaginable, forcing me to crave the bite of his whip and the steel in his voice to drown out the ache in my chest.

For his entire life, Benjamin Martin’s parents drilled into his head that he must watch out for his little sister, but one horrific night, he failed. Now, the bite of a whip, cuffs digging into his wrists, his arms and legs stretched beyond endurance, these things give him what he needs to forget his sister’s violent death, at least for a while.

When Ben’s latest Dom casts him aside like a broken toy, he manipulates his best friend, Jude Archer, into picking up the pieces. Jude has been in love with Ben for years, but his fantasies about his friend never included whipping him. He doesn't understand why Ben needs BDSM and he worries about Ben’s addiction. Most of all, he fears losing his humanity because he’s already lost himself in Ben. When he’s forced to trade the marks upon his soul for the pain that ravages Ben, Jude learns the real definition of submission.

1st Edition published as Painting Fire on the Air by Dreamspinner Press, September 2013







Review
Ben by JP Barnaby is the second story in the Survivor Stories series. I have not read the first one and I was not lost at all reading Ben's story. I do however have very mixed feelings about the character of Ben.
Ben is submissive. He also has a huge need for extreme pain. He is punishing himself for a past mistake. This dominates him for most of the book. He gets a Dom that gives him what he wants, but what happens there is rather questionable in nature. He really wants his best friend Jude.
Jude is not Dominate. He is the most unlikely to be dominate. Kind, gentle, sweet and does not want to give out pain. He changes his whole personality for Ben. To me this seems so very unfair. Jude has to basically become someone else to be with Ben.
Here is where I am torn while I felt Ben was selfish, it was Jude's choice to change. He does have his own limits he refuses to change. And the ending you will see how it all works out. So I love how powerfully written this book is. I felt the BDSM was well done, and necessary to the telling of Ben's tale. Amazing connection in this book too. The author is amazing and made me very invested in the story itself. I am just not sure I like Ben, still on the fence on that. Felt he should have been less selfish for Jude. 


                            Four Twinkling Stars
 



No comments: