Tuesday, May 31, 2016

His Prize by Doris O'Connor

Title: His Prize
Series: The Cleaners, 1
Author: Doris O’Connor
Publisher: Evernight Publishing
Genre and Pairing: Contemporary and M/F
Page Count: 85 pages
Reviewer Name: Luna
Publisher Buy Link:
 


Publisher Blurb
The Cleaners, 1
It’s the choice of her life—submit or die.

When Susie Elliot stumbles into the middle of a clean-up, undertaken by none other than Ellis Reynolds, she expects her life to be over. No one disturbs this ruthlessly efficient killer and lives to tell the tale.

The man they call Ren has no time for tender feelings, but there is something about the curvaceous redhead that calls to him. Rather than killing her he claims her as his prize. One night should be more than enough time to get her out of his system. However, Susie’s submission means Ren has to confront emotions, completely alien to him. Killing is easy. This relationship thing is fraught with problems.

When his criminal activities catch up with him, loyalties are tested to the max, and Susie has another choice to make—walk away, or stay and accept the darkness within.
Be Warned: BDSM, anal sex, impact play





Review
I will be the first to admit I was intrigued by the blurb for His Prize by Doris O’Connor. As I usually am not a fan of stories where a character appears unapologetically on the wrong side of the law. But I was curious to see where Ms. O’Connor was going to take Ren and was pleasantly surprised with how much I ended up liking not only him but his “crew” for lack of a better word. I will unashamedly admit that I ended this story adoring Ren and his men. In spite of the job they had, Ren and his men had a strong code of honor I could respect. For all that they made the living making problems disappear, they were loyal to each other and had some ethics with regard to the jobs they undertook. Surprisingly my issues were with Susie. It took a minute for me to warm up to this character. I understand that submissive doesn’t necessarily mean weak but Susie while not weak felt overly young to me. I understood she wasn’t sure whether she would live or die but I found her a bit judgmental even as she swam with the sharks. I expected her to be a bit more street smart and her naivety was something I struggled to accept especially for Ren. But once she found her backbone, I liked her much better. I loved the sense of family she brought to Ren and her men. And I can’t wait to see Ms. O’Connor help the rest of The Cleaners find their happily ever after.


                            Four Twinkling Stars

No comments: