Saturday, March 5, 2016

Packmaster by Jess Buffett

Title: Packmaster
Series: Full Moon Rising, 1
Author: Jess Buffett
Publisher: Jess Buffett
Genre and Pairing: Paranormal and M/M
Page Count: 72 pages
Reviewer Name: Luna
Publisher Buy Link:


Publisher Blurb
Kyan had never known true kindness, or what it felt like to be completely entranced by one person...until he met Blaise. When his life spins out of control, and a whole new world is opened up to him, he finds that the only human being he can turn to, may not even be human at all. 
Blaise has spent months trying to figure out the best way to approach his shy and nervous mate. As the Packmaster in the small town of Rowan Oak, he isn't used to having to show restraint or patience. When he finally makes his move a turn of events involving a forgotten note, a disappearing mate, and trouble with a group of hunters leads to disastrous results. 
When Blaise finally catches up to Kyan, what he finds and the answers he gets are nothing like what he had been expecting. Will the pair be able to straighten out their misunderstandings and find the happiness they both long for, or will the Packmaster lose the only thing he has ever had to fight for?

WARNING: This book contains mpreg.





Review
After a night of passion, Kyan is hurt waking up alone. He thought it meant more to Blaise but he picks up, dusts off his heart and disappears. But he leaves carrying a bit of Blaise with him.
I am usually a fan of Jess Buffett’s work but Packmaster fell a short for me. I loved the premise and adore male pregnancy so I was looking forward to reading this story. Where it fell short for me was the connection between Blaise and Kyan. Kyan ran and when Blaise found him he didn’t make Blaise work for it. I mean the secrets hidden, the consequences of their night and with little discussion Kyan is right back in Blaise’s arms. This story had little passion or character depth. What type of man was Blaise? What type of man was Kyan? How could the two blend? I mean you learn shifters exist and oh by the way they can get a man pregnant and with barely a whimper you accept and move to happily ever after. It felt stiff and phoned in to me. I enjoy the nuances and Ms. Buffett usually gives us those but it was missing for me. I wanted to feel Kyan’s fear. I wanted feel Kyan’s disbelief. I wanted to see Blaise work to right a wrong. I wanted to see more of who Blaise was to his pack. I wanted more information on hunters and why the hunted, much less were able to continuously track Kyan. I wanted to connect with the characters and I wasn’t able to. While this wasn’t my favorite story from Ms. Buffett I will continue to read her in the future because I have read her in the past and know she is a truly amazing author. This one is just a miss for me. 
                                Three Red Stars
 

No comments: