Wednesday, January 6, 2016

The Backup by Erica Kudisch

Title: The Backup
Author: Erica Kudisch
Publisher: Riptide Publishing
Genre: MM, Contemporary
Pages:376
Reviewer: Redz














Publisher's Blurb



I’m supposed to be better than this. I'm supposed to have a tenure-track job teaching music history to undergrads, writing papers about Bach, and proving to kids like me that you can work your way out of Harlem. I'm not supposed to be following a rock star around the country, fetching his mail, making sure his groupies are of age.
I'm definitely not supposed to be sleeping with said rock star, who claims to be the Greek God Dionysus. At first I thought it was a load of crap. Nik's fans might think his music captures their hearts—and souls—but I knew better. Until one of Nik's orgiastic concerts gets out of hand and I don’t know which is worse: that he might be a god after all, or that he has a body count.
Nik doesn’t care what I want or what I should be. He wants to tear down the world I've built, warping all I am, until his music is all that's left of me. I can't let him do that. I shouldn't believe in him. I've seen what happens to the people who believe in him.
But I can't get his song out of my head.










Review
The Backup by author Erica Kudisch is an unusual read, not something you get right away, many twists and turns. I was both confused and loving it at the same time. Nothing is as it seems at first in this book. I loved that aspect. I also loved how the author made me feel very connected to Anthony. He is a funny, sweet, and sometimes uptight character. He likes his classical music and is always doing his musical math in his head. Order is what he likes in his music and his life.
Nik is the opposite of order. He is chaos incarnate. Lead singer to a popular band. Messy, only really cares about his music not the people that listen to it or anything like bills or real life.

That is the surface of these characters. Once you get reading this book you find out that Anthony has many more layers to reveal and Nik well ...Nik is more than meets the eye. He might be the one that can save Anthony from himself or the one who damns him for all time.
I loved watching Anthony grow into his own. He finds himself in this book and learns sometimes you have to be your own white knight.
When you want a thought provoking read with twists and turns, this is the book to pick up.



                                                  Five Shooting Stars

No comments: