Thursday, December 10, 2015

Romance Author Kelli A. Wilkins-Thankful blog with Contes

An Inside Look at Dangerous Indenture
By Romance Author Kelli A. Wilkins


Hi everyone!
I hope you’re all enjoying the holiday season. This is a busy time of year when most people are spending time with loved ones, attending parties, and combing stores for the “perfect” gifts. But it’s also a good time of year to sit quietly, reflect on your life, and count your blessings.
Thanksgiving is the one day when everyone gathers together to give thanks – but why should it be limited to that brief 24 hour timespan? I think people should practice being thankful, grateful, and appreciative of all they have every day of the year. People have so many things to be thankful for, that they often overlook them and don’t appreciate them until they’re gone.
Each day, I give thanks for the health and happiness of my friends and family, my job, my car running perfectly fine, and a thousand other things. I’m also thankful for all the lessons I’ve learned over the years: you can’t change anyone; everyone wants to be happy and feel loved and needed; don’t take anyone or anything for granted; if people don’t treat you the way you deserve, it’s okay to walk away; there are no accidents - every experience in life is there to teach us something; and many more.
I also want to say thanks to everyone who’s ever bought one of my books. I enjoy writing romances, and receiving feedback from readers is always appreciated.
Today I’m sharing an inside look at the making of my novel, Dangerous Indenture. Dangerous Indenture is a spicy historical/mystery set in Pennsylvania Colony in the early 1700s. Here’s the summary:



Dangerous Indenture
Eager to escape her past in Ireland, Shauna Farrow signs on to become an indentured servant to Joshua Stewart, a wealthy man in Pennsylvania Colony.
But a life of servitude quickly turns to drudgery, and her hopes for starting over and creating a better life for herself are waning—until she meets her master’s roguish son, Ashton.
Shauna fights her growing attraction to Ashton, torn between propriety and acting on her emotions. But amidst their flirting, something dark stirs. Shauna soon discovers why no other servants will work for the strange Stewart family.
Stewart House has an unsavory reputation: a previous servant died there under mysterious circumstances. When another servant goes missing in the middle of the night, Shauna is convinced that a member of the family is responsible.
When Shauna’s investigation leads her too close to the truth, it’s up to Ashton to save her before time runs out.
***
So, how did the book come about? Dangerous Indenture is one of those books that just jumped into my head. (Yes, every so often that happens to writers.) One day, I overheard the name Shawna Farrell, but I thought I’d heard Shauna Farrow. The name stuck with me and I wrote it down. A few minutes later, I knew all about her: she was an Irish indentured servant who came to Pennsylvania Colony and worked at a house where a previous servant was murdered. Once I knew that, I started outlining the book.
Before I wrote a word, I did a lot of research. I was starting from a good place with the book – I knew where I wanted to set the story and in approximately what time frame it should take place. From there, I spent time in the library going through history books, reading up on Colonial times (What life was like, What people wore, ate, etc.) and indentured servants in general (Where did they come from? Why did they leave their home country?).
As I wrote the book, I incorporated my research as background information. This gives the story a rich historical feel without going overboard with details that might bog down the book or be of no interest to readers.
I especially enjoyed creating the characters and setting the stage for the drama that’s about to unfold. Right from the start, we’re told that Stewart House is haunted, and then we (and Shauna) meet the master of the house, Joshua Stewart, and his strange family.
When I developed the secondary characters, I made sure to give them all interesting backstories and unusual quirks. Joshua comes off as a mean bear of a man, Minerva just might be crazy (and a murderer), Colin is… a villain in many senses of the word, and Lila thought she had everything going for her – for a while.
I love the characters, the setting, and the fact that Dangerous Indenture is a romance blended with mystery. I had never written a romance set in Colonial times before, and mixing romance with suspense/mystery to make a Gothic-type story was a lot of fun.
I hope you’ll check it out. Here’s a steamy mini-excerpt:
Excerpt:
Ashton wrapped his arms around her. “Come here. Let me hold you.”
She relaxed against him, and her worries drained away. A familiar heat built between her legs as Ashton leaned forward and kissed her. Ashton moaned, and she felt a hardness jutting out from the front of his breeches.
Her mind flashed back to Ashton in his robe. His chest, his flat stomach, the glimpse of a tiny trail of hairs leading lower... What would Ashton do if he knew how desperately she craved his touch?
She fought the urge to slide her hands to the front of his breeches and stroke him, make him ready. What would it feel like to make love to him? She ached to be crushed under his body as he entered her and—
Without warning, Ashton pulled away.
Forgive me,” he said, releasing her. “I tend to lose control and let my urges take over. I’m not used to being around a decent woman.”
He thought she was decent? That was a joke. If he knew what wicked ideas were swirling through her head, he’d probably faint.
***
For the month of December, Dangerous Indenture is on sale across all platforms for just $.99!
Order your copy from:







I’m also giving away a PDF copy of my historical novella, A Most Unusual Princess. Here’s the summary:
Princess Elara needs to find a royal husband, but claims that no man can satisfy her. Dalton, Elara’s special guard, finds her unusual behaviors charming—and enthralling. Dalton’s aloof manner intrigues Elara, and despite their differences, they share tender moments and intimate nighttime passions. Elara is heartbroken when her father chooses a “proper” husband for her—until she meets the mystery man.
If you can’t wait to win, order a copy here:

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/A-Most-Unusual-Princess-ebook/dp/B002NOGDYI/ref=sr_1_23?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375814176&sr=1-23&keywords=Kelli+A.+Wilkins

Enjoy the holidays!
Kelli
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Kelli A. Wilkins is an award-winning author who has published more than 95 short stories, 19 romance novels, and 5 non-fiction books.
She published three romances in 2014: Dangerous Indenture (a spicy historical/mystery), Wilderness Bride (a tender historical/Western/adventure), and A Secret Match (a gay contemporary set in the world of professional wrestling).
Her romances span many genres and heat levels and yet she’s also been known to scare readers with a horror story. In 2014, her horror fiction appeared in Moon Shadows, Wrapped in White, and Sherlock Holmes Mystery Magazine. In 2015, she released two horror ebooks, Kropsy’s Curse and Dead Til Dawn.
Her writing book, You Can Write—Really! A Beginner’s Guide to Writing Fiction was released in February 2015. This fun and informative non-fiction guide is based on her 15 years of experience as a writer, and is available exclusively on Amazon.
Kelli posts on her Facebook author page: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorKelliWilkins and Twitter: www.Twitter.com/@KWilkinsauthor. She also writes a weekly blog: http://kelliwilkinsauthor.blogspot.com/. Visit her website, www.KelliWilkins.com to learn more about all of her writings, read excerpts, reviews, and more. Readers can sign up for her newsletter here: http://eepurl.com/HVQqb.

CATCH UP WITH KELLI

Here are a few links to find Kelli & her writings on the web
Newsletter sign-up: http://eepurl.com/HVQqb

To win this contest tell me who are you thankful for in your life?

 

3 comments:

Kelli Wilkins said...

Thanks for posting this blog about my historical romance, Dangerous Indenture. The book was a lot of fun to write and has a lot of interesting/unique characters. The special 99 cent sale is ongoing through December, across all platforms.

I hope readers will enter the contest!

Tina brunelle said...

I know I would love for people to enter this one. Come on you know you loves to win!

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful for the many people in my life who've stood by me when I had a whole mess of troubles. They weren't there to tell me "I told you so" or other things but gave me moral support.

Laura K
lkubitz60609@yahoo.com