Sunday, November 1, 2015

Shining Star Award: Edge of Love by Shay Rucker

Title: Edge of Love
Series: Mama’s Brood, 1
Author: Shay Rucker
Publisher: Loose-Id
Genre and Pairing: Contemporary and M/F
Page Count: 288 pages
Reviewer Name: Luna
Publisher Buy Link:
 


Publisher Blurb
Zeus, the newest and most unstable member of a group of mercenaries known as Mama’s Brood, is given the order to protect Sabrina Samora. Sabrina knows beyond a doubt, the only person she can truly trust is herself; letting anyone else in will inevitably lead to disaster.

Problem? Zeus has no respect for her boundaries. Habitually indifferent to the desires and motivations of others, Zeus wants Sabrina. She has the power to muzzle his worst impulses and unbalance his world, and he means to have her.

Will Zeus be able to protect Sabrina from the sociopathic killer obsessed with making her his own, will he lose her to her own impulse to run, or will they both discover that the world is a better place when you don’t have to exist in it alone?





Review
Zeus is CRAZY. There is no other way to state it. He is inordinately attached to his blades. He believes his needs are more important than others. But conversely once he decides you are his, you are surrounded and protected. I loved Zeus. I will admit when I first started Edge of Love by Shay Rucker I thought what in the hell have I picked up. But as I got to know Zeus I was super impressed with Ms. Rucker’s skill. She made me love a man with questionable everything. He bordered the edge. He isn’t quite right or is he? And Sabrina is perfect for him. She has had a hard life and her first instinct is to run. Unfortunately for her, this time running is not an option. I loved how she gave as good as she got from Zeus. She had poor Zeus so confused at times he didn’t know whether he was coming or going. But their interaction was funny and strangely scary. Ms. Rucker placed Zeus and Sabrina in situation they were both unsure of and somehow made it work.
This was my first time reading Shay Rucker’s work and I can say it will not be the last. This story was intense. The characters were slightly off center but I loved that about them. I didn’t know what to expect and found myself pleasantly surprised by their actions. Edge of Love is gritty even as it is emotional. Ms. Rucker grabs you by the throat and doesn’t let go. I thoroughly enjoyed this story and look forward to reading more from her in the future.

                   Five Shooting Stars and A Shining Star Award


 

No comments: