Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Dangerous Secret by Jessica Lauryn



Dangerous Secret (MF)Title: Dangerous Secret

Series title:  Pinnacles of Power Prequel

Author:    Jessica Lauryn

Publisher:    Siren Publishing Inc.

Genre:    Contemporary

 (M/F, oral sex, adult language)


Page Count:277

Reviewer: Cassiopeia

Publisher’s Buy link:


Publisher Blurb:







Abigail MacKenzie has been trying to put her father’s tragic death behind her. But when a handsome stranger produces a random clue about her father’s shooting, hopes of finding her father’s killer come flooding back to the surface. Abigail is determined to get justice for her dad, even if it means learning the secret of a man with eyes that cut straight through the wall around her heart.






After making a mysterious discovery that costs him his job, Ryan Newberry is happy to accept any position he can get. But when he realizes that one of the employees who’ll be working under him at the Washington Valley Hotel is Abigail MacKenzie, the sweet girl he met weeks before, he fears the past might be in danger of repeating itself. Ryan only hopes that his desires for his new front desk associate won’t lead both of them down a path of danger from which he won’t be able to protect them.






Review of book:

I didn’t have high expectations for Dangerous Secret, simply because the author marketed it as a “prequel”, and the most of ones I've read have been either short on words, short on substance – or both.  Boy was I wrong.  This story is a full length piece, with a solid plot and a cast of decently fleshed out characters.  Typically I'm a character freak, meaning that I enjoy books where the story line enhances the characters in it, but there was no way that I could resist the tantalizing suspense filled ride that Jessica Lauryn put me on. I think Dangerous Secret should have been promoted as the first installment in the Pinnacles of Power series, rather than a prequel, because it's more than strong enough to stand all on its own.

The hero and heroine, Ryan and Abigail, we're likable, relatable, and while I felt they were inconsistent at times, the duo were perfect vehicles for the twists and turns the story brought forth.  Were they my favorites? Nope, not by a long shot.  I actually found myself so caught up with trying to figure out the angle with Shane and Mark, that they overshadowed the on again-off again love birds. I loved the opening that Ms. Lauryn left hanging with Mark, and I'm eagerly looking forward to watching him receive his comeuppance.

This book was the perfect beginning to what promises to be an exciting and riveting, action-packed series.  I can't wait to see where the author takes us next!

                                  Four Twinkling Stars

No comments: