Thursday, April 2, 2015

Old Sins, Long Shadows by P.G. Forte



Title:     Old Sins, Long Shadows

Series title:  Children of Night, Book 2

Author:    P.G. Forte

Publisher:    Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

Genre: Paranormal

Heat level: (M/M, anal play/sex)

Page Count: 224

Reviewer: Cassiopeia

Publisher’s Buy link:




Publisher Blurb:




1856, New York City. Moments after Conrad Quintano drives his life-mate away, heartache and guilt descend around his heart like a pall. Convinced that Damian’s hatred is as permanent as the scars Conrad has inflicted on him, Conrad steels himself for an eternity of emotional torture.

Present day, San Francisco. For the sake of vampire twins Marc and Julie Fischer, Conrad and Damian present a united parental front. In reality, their truce is a sham. Conrad, weakened by his recent ordeal, struggles against the urge to bring his mate back to his bed. And Damian misinterprets Conrad’s explosive temper as proof their relationship is irreparably broken.

When an old enemy’s quest to create a dangerous new breed of vampire threatens the twins’ lives—and the precarious state of vampire peace—it’s imperative the estranged lovers put the past behind them. Or the shadows of the past will tear apart everything they hold dear.







Review of book:

I can’t begin to describe the author crush I have on P.G. Forte.  She writes smart, tightly woven plots with characters that you love to love, and want to scream at all at once.I’m never disappointed when I pick up one of her books, and many of them are in my TBRA (To Be Read Again) pile.

In Old Sins, Long Shadows we got to see a little more of the history behind Conrad and Damian’s rocky relationship, and man did it explain a lot.  I winced every time Conrad would bark at his lover, knowing that he was terrified of being vulnerable to Damian.  I so wanted him to get out of his own way, because he was truly his own worst enemy.  Still, I enjoyed the peek into his thoughts and emotions, and I think it was what ultimately won me over.  Damian’s insecurities were just as heartbreaking, but their underlying enduring love for one another was breathtaking when they’d both be on the same page emotionally.

As heavily as Conrad and Damian were featured in the book, you’d think that there’d be precious little room for anyone else.  You’d be wrong.  The twins, Julie and Marc, I felt grew up a lot over the course of the book, in spite of having little to no useful information on their species from their parents to work with.  Julie, especially, experienced growing pains in her relationship with Brennan, and how she worked through it was fascinating.  She was an intelligent, funny, and beautiful female who, at times, desperately wanted to be normal (or at least human-normal).  Marc, at first came off as a smart-assed, angry kid and man did I dislike him intensely.  However as I read on, I found it riveting to watch him find his purpose (calling if you will), with the Ferals.  I feel he truly began living his own life, creating his own truth, the moment he gave Heather her first lesson how to feed without causing risk or harm to her donor.

There were so many fabulous characters in Old Sins, it was hard to choose a favorite - even the secondary (and tertiary) players had something important to add to the tale.  For me, though, Armand stole my heart.  He came into Conrad’s life as a lover and friend, I think knowing full well he’d never be to Conrad what Damian was.  He was so utterly loyal and not nearly as resentful as I’d have expected him to be.  Especially when Damian came back into the picture. I wish the two of them could have made peace with each other.  As much as their love for Conrad divided them, I believe that had they been allies rather than enemies, they might have found their common ground transforming into a deep friendship. 

If I wasn’t hooked on the Quintano nest/clan before, I certainly am now.  Go ahead, pick up Old Sins, Long Shadowsby P.G. Forte– you won’t regret it.

                                               Five Shooting Stars 


No comments: