Sunday, March 29, 2015

Star Dust Award - Staying Invisible by Ann Scott



Staying Invisible (MF)Title:Staying Invisible
Author:Ann Scott
Publisher:Siren-Bookstrand Inc.
Genre and Pairing:Contemporary and M/F
Word Count:67,697
Reviewer Name: Luna
Publisher Buy Link:







Publisher Blurb


Samantha Clements, a free­lance editor, learned the devastation that can come with love when she loses the love of her young life in a car crash. Even years later, Samantha still isolates herself from everyone both emotionally and physically to protect her heart.


Luc Cavenaugh, because of his covert work with the government, must hide his true self from most of his friends and family. Having almost no one who knows the person behind the cover is getting really old, though, and having someone who knows the real Luc is beyond tempting.


A desperate act brings them together, but when Luc's current assignment places Sam in danger, he will do whatever he must to ensure her safety, even if it means pushing her away. Through lies, deceit, and fear, they succumb to passion, but will they discover too late that staying invisible isn’t necessary when they are together?






Review
This was my first time reading Ann Scott’s work and I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.  This story blew me away.  It was so well written.  It took me on a roller coaster ride of emotions and I didn’t mind at all.  There were moments that had me in tears, as Samantha lost her first love.  There were moments that had me laughing, the relationship between Luc and Cooper.  There were moments between the highs and lows.  Ms. Scott did a wonderful job of balance.  Luc and Sam’s romance was a times sweet and intense.  I loved the journey even as I celebrated their milestones.  Both were hiding who they were and while Luc’s was expected, Sam’s was not.  Seeing Sam deal with her wounded heart was well articulated and a bit unexpected.  Ms. Scott allowed us insight into a woman that on her face seemed upfront and one dimensional when in reality she was multi-layered.  We pulled back each layer as Sam’s festering wounds slowly healed, or did they?  I love that Ms. Scott kept us guessing even as Luc’s relationship with Sam evolved.  Their journey felt real and I found myself quickly vested in both Luc and Sam.  I wanted them to survive even as I question some of their decisions.  Ms. Scott did not make this story overly emotional even though it was very deep.  She gave us moments of joy and moments of laughter.  She also allowed us to see that Luc and Sam were loved even if they were unsure just how well others saw them.  Staying Invisible is one of the best stories that I have read this year.  If you are looking for a story that will take you on the highest of the highs and the lowest of the lows and have you enjoy the journey then this story by Ms. Scott is one to read.
                       Five Shooting Stars and a Star Dust Award 


   


No comments: