Sunday, March 29, 2015

Master of No One by Tricia Owens



Title:Master of No One
Author:Tricia Owens
Publisher:Loose Id
Genre and Pairing:Paranormal and M/F, M/F/M, M/M/F
PageCount:231 pages
Reviewer Name: Luna
Publisher Buy Link:









Publisher Blurb


Aleksander is short-tempered, antisocial, and though he’s unaware of it, wildly sexy. He’s also a naturally dominant shape shifting monster who’s sliding into madness. He needs a human ‘grounder’ to submit to him and draw forth his protective human side. Instead he is giventwo humans: Constance, a fledgling sub with a reckless streak whose intense desire to serve has brought her nothing but heartache, and Kirk, a former NYPD cop who's trying to subdue his own alpha instincts and play submissive in order to fulfill a family debt.

But once these grounders meet their new master, they quickly discover that in order to save Aleksander from himself, they must alter their assigned roles and form a unique triad of domination and submission that goes against Aleksander’s very nature. Constance needs to convince Aleksander he can be gentle and protective, while Kirk wants to show him there is freedom in surrendering to another dominant. The task isn't easy, though: Aleksander fights them every step of the way, and a conspiracy surfaces which not even a creature as powerful as Aleksander may be able to overcome.







Review
This was my first time reading Tricia Owens work and while I wasn’t blown away in this particular story. I was looking forward to the premise of this story.  A strong male paired with a submissive and another dominant.  I love the push/pull this dichotomy can bring to a story.  I will admit that I usually see this after the characters have a chance to work out the kinks, and in Master of No One the relationship is new all around.  It appeared that at times Ms. Owenswas unclear in her focus of her  characters and that translated into the story.  Take Aleksander for instance, he was unsure and struggled with his needs and at times I wasn’t quite sure what he wanted.  Was he a dominant? Was he a submissive?  Was he a switch?  He didn’t know and we never really got into his head as he figured it out so I ended the story still unsure.  And Kirk was equally confusing.  It appeared that he was just a naturally commanding figure.  He was a protector and an honorable man.  But human, so how was he able to dominate Aleksander?  Was it really a relationship built on a dominating/submissive dynamic?  At times I wondered because Aleksander and Kirk have no prior relationship so no built in trust.  The only character that was easy to understand was Constance.  Her need to serve was obvious from the get go.  She derived pleasure from serving but that didn’t make her a pushover.  She understood her needs and was trying her hardest to fulfill them, first with Aleksander and then with Kirk.  I loved that she cut right through the fat and was able to articulate her understanding of Aleksander and her perception of his needs.  I loved that Kirk added to the layer of our understanding of Aleksander even if it confused the issues, at least in my mind.  I still think that Ms. Owens started something that could be wonderful.  I will note that it appears to be a more of a happily for now instead of a happily ever after, so be warned.  Overall, I liked what this story can be even as the characters confused me. I would love to see more of her work in the future. Ms. Owens penned a story that was different and I think the world she is building shows great promise.  I will give her another shot if for no other reason than I have to know where she was taking us. 


                            Four Twinkling Stars


No comments: