Monday, November 24, 2014

Dalton Diaz: What she is thankful for



Giving Thanks

There is very little in life for which I am not thankful. Actually, let me rephrase that. I am very thankful for the love, family, friendships, health and successes that have picked me up and carried me through the times where I have failed at one or multiple things from that list.

My family has dealt with a lot of heavy things in the last ten years. There have been layoffs, illnesses, broken hearts, and a major death. To counter this, there have been better jobs, recovery, new love, renewed love, an end to suffering, graduations, and the safe return of a son from war.

There has also been a lot of laughter. My family can, and does, joke about everything. I’d like to think that came from my father, who was one of the illnesses, and the major death that ended the suffering. My parents moved in with us shortly before his death. One of the first things my father did was to bury his portion (don’t ask!) of his sister Evelyn’s ashes in our yard, plop a bench over it, and dub it, “The Rest of Evie.” (Partial remains, eternal rest – yeah, I said don’t ask!) About a month after my father died, we were all at a big in-law Christmas party when one of my husband’s cousins apparently misheard the news. He came up and congratulated my mom on her new marriage. I still feel really bad for the cousin, who was horrified at the mistake, but the rest of us felt like we’d just gotten a hug from my dad. There was no doubt in our minds that it was my dad letting us know he was there.

I have been told that my humor shows up in my writing. I hope so. I hope I’ve made readers laugh out loud and brightened their day when they’ve needed it.

May you have lots of love, family, friendships, health, successes and laughter this holiday season and beyond.  





Gods Gone Wild

Ashlyn Chase
Dalton Diaz
Bonus story from USA Today Bestselling Author Terry Spear

Two Gods are in big trouble with Zeus. Gods will be gods and when these two taunt Pele for their own entertainment, she erupts, literally, creating a whole new Hawaiian island. But Zeus is not amused and must teach them a lesson they won't forget. Who knew their punishment would lead to finding the loves of their lives?

Great Zeus! by Dalton Diaz

Epimetheus knows he screwed up. Well, he knows it since Zeus pointed it out with a lightning bolt or two. He’s willing to take his punishment like a Titan, but all bets are off when his beloved dead wife Pandora shows up. Pandy has no memory of him. Epimetheus has no powers, and no forethought. What could possibly go wrong?


Chapter 1
Bang! Bang! Bang! “Showtime, Keester! We have a situation brewing.”
“Keester?” I rolled over and opened my eyes, only to find myself in unfamiliar surroundings. The last thing I remembered was summoning Hypnos, only to have him shake his head and place his hand on my shoulder. His touch had felt strange, like he was draining my energy.
It all came back to me with a jolt. This was it. I was in my punishment.
Hmm, nice soft bed, looked like a high end hotel room. I didn’t seem to be missing any limbs, no deformities…shit!
I jumped up and ran to a mirror before heaving a sigh of relief. The beard I’d grown to look older was gone and my brown hair was now long and wavy. But I was looking at my light brown eyes, set in my face, atop my muscular body in only boxer briefs. Hey, name a Titan, or even a half Titan, who didn’t choose to be muscle-bound. If Zeus thought it added punishment for me to look like a prima-donna pretty boy, so be it. I could live with that.
The banging came again, rattling the door.  “C’mon, Jack! Move it!”
Jack? Jack Keester? I rolled my eyes. Yes Zeus, you think I’m a jackass. Got it.
“Give me five,” I called out. Whatever waited for me on the other side of that door could wait a bit longer.
I used one of those minutes to throw on a pair of jeans that were flung over a chair, and continued to take stock of myself.  There was no energy coursing through me, I seriously had to piss, and my mouth tasted like I’d gnawed on Hermes’ shoe after an Olympiad. I was apparently human for the duration, however long that might be.
It took another whole minute to don a shirt. Not because I couldn’t choose one, but because they were all the same. Every shirt in the drawer was black and stamped with the words, Property of a Greek God.
Yeah, fucking hilarious. 
The last three minutes were spent taking care of those mundane human needs in the attached bathroom. Then I took a deep breath and opened the door that separated me from Zeus’s version of purgatory.
Gods Gone Wild

No comments: