Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Alone by author Kali Argent



Title: Alone

Series title: Preludes, Book One

Author: Kali Argent

Publisher: UnScripted, Inc.

Genre: Contemporary, M/F pairing 

Word Count: 14,600

Reviewer:  Cassiopeia

Buy link:



Publisher Blurb:

Sometimes, new beginnings come from unexpected places.

To Cecily Baker, being unattached means making her own decisions, living by her own rules, and never answering to anyone. So when her sister drags her to a singles night at a local cluband then ditches herit only strengthens Cecilys conviction that dating just isnt for her.

Pulling double duty as a bouncer and a bartender, Rafe Serento has seen a parade of beautiful women walk through the doors of Electric Mist, but hes never met anyone like Cecily. Lovely in every sense of the word, and just as stubborn, she challenges everything he thought he wanted in a relationship.

The more Cecily pushes him away, though, the harder Rafe pushes back, and unless they find some common ground, theyll both end up Alone.







Review of book:

I don't recall when a piece of this size has made such an impact on me.  At just 49 pages, Alone by Kali Argent is everything I wish for in a quick read - humorous, sexy, emotional, and real.  As a reviewer, it's rare that I can fully let go and enjoy a book, "just because", but I was so caught up with how the story unfolded, I was surprised when I reached the end.  Ms. Argent crafted a well thought out plot with engaging characters, in a very short amount of space.  Not an easy thing to do, by any stretch of the imagination.

Let's talk about the characters for a moment.  Cecily is the quintessential big sister, protective and more than a little bossy. I should know, I am one *G*.  She was also a bit of a recluse.  There was no traumatic event that precipitated her feeling that way, she had just come to the conclusion that it was just too much hassle to deal with the drama of being out and about. Her chosen career as a graphic artist lent itself well to her somewhat solitary existence.  Her sister, Melissa was in my mind, a very ungrateful and selfish individual.  She'd always had Cecily to pick up the pieces when she was a kid, and it never occurred to her that as a adult, things should be different. 

And then, there was Rafe.  Sure, he's got the classic good looks that are part and parcel for his heritage - Italian - but he's got so much more going on that I found equally attractive.   He never cashed in on his physical attributes, and seemed almost abashedly shy at times, which I found very refreshing.  Rafe also didn't seem to be put off by Cecily's attempts to put emotional distance between them, and that I found very enticing.  Even when they finally had sex, the buildup was sweet, leaving me with the impression that the couple had skipped the lust limbo, and we're well on their way to love.

There wasn't much that I didn't like about this book, other than I wanted more!  Kali Argent, you've hooked me already with Alone, the first book in your Preludes series, and I'll be waiting impatiently for the next installment! 


                                                          Five Shooting Stars


No comments: