Saturday, February 1, 2014

second Review of Beginning of the End by Zayne Michaels

This is the second review done,  this one by Cassiopeia  she gives this book five shooting stars and here is what she had to say.




Review of book

Having never read anything by author, Zayne Michaels, coupled with the fact that I'm not a huge fan of the post apocalyptic flavored piece, I had no idea how I'd react to Beginning of the End.  Right about now, you're thinking that I'm all kinds of stupid for setting myself up for a less than stellar experience. 

You would be wrong.

It's perfectly O.K.; so was I. 

I found Beginning of the End more a testament of how resourceful and resilient  people could be in the face of global catastrophe, than a plot rife with gore and zombie-like creatures that crave human flesh.   It was certainly a love story that had a decent amount of steamy sex; however, I truly saw it as a love story first and foremost.  Grim and Brady each struggled with the events that brought them together, but still we're open to acknowledging that they not only wanted each other, but needed the balance that the other brought into their life.  Ms. Michaels' characters were colorful, deep, and original; no cookie cutter, "insert a bad guy here" for this story.

Beginning's plot was arguably one of the best I've read in awhile.  It was simplistic, but anything except boring.  The Earth's population had just suffered through a world-wide pandemic brought about by an alien contagion contained in a meteor shower.  Loss of life was massive, and those who survived were changed in ways that they couldn't fathom.  Many mutated into something just below the lowest denominator of humanity.  Even those who seemingly escaped the mutative effects of the pathogen underwent at the very least, an emotional transformation.  I really thought the author's portrayal of the lesser side effects of the virus on the "normal" population was clever, and helped smooth the way for Brady and Grim's quick transformation from travel companions to lovers.  There were some twists and turns to the story that kept me engaged, and yet just enough was left up in the air that I found myself actually looking forward to the next installment in the Welcome to Purgatory series.

I highly recommend Beginning of the End by Zayne Michaels; she brings a range of emotion to the table in this plot that I'm confident will appeal to a wide range of readers.  Whether you love science fiction, same gender love interests, erotic romance, or just story that keeps you interested until th final word, I promise that you'll thank me later!
 

No comments: