Monday, June 3, 2013

Writing BDSM in Erotic Romance


Writing BDSM in Erotic Romance

Given there are as many types of Doms/Subs as there are people, it only makes sense that the heroes in my books should represent all different types of Doms, too. But I never force it. Some of my heroes just aren’t the Dom type, and that’s okay—or maybe my heroine would never be a sub. In that case, I don’t write them that way just so I can get that BDSM label on my books. The characters wouldn’t ring true. Since I like my two or three men to be different, some will more serious than others about being a Dom. Those heroes will demand complete compliance to the standard rules, such as calling him Sir or Master, insisting the sub keep her eyes averted, knees wide, and her hands behind her back though too often, he’ll help out with controlling of her hands!
Other heroes might be more into tying her down and demanding that she control her orgasms until he lets her—or better yet, he controls her orgasms by never quite allowing her to come until he’s ready. A little bit of edging can be sexy as hell.
Regardless of type of man my hero/heroes turn out to be, I insist they be compassionate. I truly want them to put their sub’s interest above their own. And as much as I would like for the heroes and heroine to start out slow so as to develop trust—a critical component in BDSM—my books would be a 1000 pages long if I did that. So, I must beg the reader’s indulgence to suspend belief when my heroine’s trust is earned perhaps too quickly. After all, there is nothing sexier than a woman being totally vulnerable and at the mercy of her man/men, as it is I who am anxious to get to the good part. Who isn’t?


In my upcoming book, FREEDOM TO SUBMIT [June 17, 2013], one of my heroes, Lucas, tells the heroine, Danisa, that he is a Dom. When he asks her what she thinks a Dom is, she really doesn’t have a clue, so Lucas must set her straight. Here’s a snippet from her POV.

Lucas moved in closer. “I’ll tell you something about myself you don’t know. I’m a Dom.” He came around the counter and moved toward her. “Do you know what that means?”
He might believe he understood her, but she knew he didn’t. Danisa had been on her own since nineteen and could handle more than he probably thought her capable. If he’d looked in her closet, he’d have known she liked kink, too.
She lifted her chin having guessed his secret a while ago. “I don’t live in a cave. You want a woman who will do what you ask.”
His eyes widened for a moment as if she’d actually impressed him. “Yes, but there’s a lot more to it than that.”
For some reason she wanted to flaunt her knowledge. “If I, as the submissive, don’t do as you say, you’ll spank me. You’ll tie me up and not let me climax until you allow me to.” She grinned. “How am I doing?”
He cocked a brow. “I think your information is a little skewed, but you’re doing pretty good. Tell me why you’d even want to obey me.”
She hadn’t thought that far ahead. “Because you’re the man and, as such, are a lot stronger?”
“Oh, baby. No wonder you’ve never been tempted to be in the lifestyle before.”
The man could be so infuriating. “Then tell me.”

“I may say I’m a Dom, but in the end, it’s all about your wants and pleasuring you.”

18 comments:

Crissy Morris said...

Congratulations on your upcoming release...

"A little bit of edging can be sexy as hell." *nods* agreed!

Tara Rose said...

Sounds like another fabulous read, Melody! :)

www.bookstrand.com/eileen-green said...

Looking forward to the new book. Sounds as if she is going to get an education....and a hot one at that.....

Sheri Vidal said...

*sigh* All about pleasuring you.

Yep, I'm going to love him

cathy h said...

sound interesting.
Thank you for sharing with us.
Cathy

Melody Snow Monroe said...

Thanks, Chrissy Morris for stopping by. I had such fun writing this book!

Melody Snow Monroe said...

Hey Tara,
Appreciate all the support!! You rock.

Melody Snow Monroe said...

Thanks, Eileen Green. Just wait until you see what kind of education she's going to get!

Melody Snow Monroe said...

Thanks, Sheri Vidal. I appreciate you stopping by. It's been a while.

Melody Snow Monroe said...

No, thank you, Cathy H for stopping by.

Agata Skjold said...

Ok. Now I really am curious;-) I can't wait for the book to come out ASAP . I'm going to enjoy this one - I can already tell . It seems like someone will get an awesome lesson - and from an excellent, sexy teacher - my favorite kind:-)

Karen Keller said...

Can't wait to read it, Melody. Love a new series.

Melody Snow Monroe said...

That's so kind of you to say, Agata. My men are kind and really know "what's best for the heroine." Hee Hee.

Melody Snow Monroe said...

Thanks Karen Keller. It's always scary as an author to start a new series, but this one just "spoke" to me. I'm writing the third one now-FREEDOM TO LOVE. The heroine is rather damaged, so the Dom is taking it really slow with her.

Lisa G said...

Looks like I've got another book to add to my buy list. This sounds like another great series.

Melody Snow Monroe said...

Thank you, Lisa G. I'm hoping so. It's got some romantic suspense and a lot of hot sex.

Rosie said...

I really like that conversation. Great explanation. Will have to check out the book when it publishes :)

Melody Snow Monroe said...

Thanks, Rosie. I really do like to have my heroes direct their Dom lifestyle in accordance to the heroine. The one I'm working on now is a real challenge. I don't know when (or if)she'll be ready.