Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Dianne Duvall - Contest!!


Transformation

I have always been an avid reader, and romance is by far my favorite fiction genre.  I just can’t get enough of those happily-ever-after endings and never cease to be entertained by the changes wrought in characters when they fall in love.  As both a reader and a writer, I love character growth.  I think that’s why I’m such a fan of book series and tend to prefer them to solitary releases that feature a hero and a heroine we never see again.  Don’t get me wrong.  There is character growth aplenty in these.  But series allow us to revisit the hero and heroine and see what happens next.

Sometimes the changes a character undergoes can take place in the span of a single book.  In DARKNESS DAWNS, the first book in my Immortal Guardians series, both Roland and Sarah (the hero and heroine) undergo pretty substantial transformations.  Roland is notoriously antisocial.  But when Sarah bounds into his life, bringing light and laughter, his surly demeanor slips and he learns to trust again, to love again.  Sarah never expects to land herself in the middle of a war that erupts between immortals and vampires.  Nor does she expect to fall in love with an immortal warrior nine hundred years her senior.  But, in doing so, she undergoes a transformation as well and discovers within herself a courage she didn’t even known she possessed. 

In NIGHT REIGNS, the second book in the series, Marcus and Ami (who were both seen first in DARKNESS DAWNS) undergo transformations of their own.  Grieving deeply after the loss of a woman he loved for eight centuries, Marcus wants to be left alone and balks when he is assigned a new Second, or mortal guard.  But that grief diminishes beneath the onslaught of Ami’s teasing determination, tempting him to risk his heart again.  Ami undergoes ample changes herself.  Loving and laughing with Marcus weakens the grip her torturous past has held on her.  Though some fears will continue to plague her, she comes into her own as a Second and will soon become renowned as the fiercest mortal warrior in the Immortal Guardians’ arsenal.  

All four of these characters will appear again in PHANTOM SHADOWS, the third book in the series, which will be released on October 2nd. These characters will continue to grow, yet the character who has changed the most in the first three books, is one I haven’t mentioned yet:  Sebastien Newcombe.

Bastien is a perfect example of why I love series so much.  When Bastien burst onto the Immortal Guardians’ scene in DARKNESS DAWNS, he did so as their enemy.  Sebastien was the villain and accomplished the unthinkable.  He successfully raised, maintained, and guided an army of violent, maddened vampires with the intention of destroying the Immortal Guardians.  And he was willing to do just about anything to accomplish that goal.  But all was not as it seemed. 

For Bastien, the seeds of change were planted in DARKNESS DAWNS, but didn’t begin to grow until NIGHT REIGNS.  In NIGHT REIGNS, his world—everything he knew to be true about his existence—had been turned upside down.  Dark secrets from his past surfaced, and calls for his execution became a clamor.  Even Bastien knew that something was going to have to change.

That change takes place in PHANTOM SHADOWS, the third book in the series.  But it isn’t at all what Bastien expected.  For two years, Dr. Melanie Lipton has worked closely with three former members of Bastien’s vampire army, searching for a cure for the virus that infects them.  Through their eyes, Melanie has seen in Bastien what others can’t:  that some villains can be redeemed, that there is more to him than the dark deeds that have earned him the hatred of immortals, vampires, and humans alike.  Perhaps, by the end of their tale, she can convince him of the same.

Had DARKNESS DAWNS not been part of a series, Bastien would have forever remained a villain.  I’m so glad he had a chance to find happiness, too.  :-)   I hope you’ll enjoy PHANTOM SHADOWS when it is released on October 2nd! 



 The third book, Phantom Shadows, will be released on October 2, 2012, and will feature Bastien as hero. Bastien's dark past has earned him the hatred of immortals, vampires, and humans alike. In fact, most would like nothing more than to see him destroyed . . . except for Dr. Melanie Lipton. She alone sees something in him the others don't and makes Bastien long for an impossible future.




Dianne as a print to give away to one lucky poster! so ask her some questions 

 

28 comments:

Debby said...

I missed the first few books. How many are you planning? Do you have other series?
debby236 at gmail dot com

April Alvey said...

I So Love Your Series So I Gotta Ask What Made Bastien Leave Being A Villain So He Could Become A Hero And What Was The Inspiration Behind The Whole Series. butterfli262002@yahoo.com

Julianne Keller said...

I haven't read any of this series yet, but I'm going to.
The covers for this series is wonderful. If you could be a heroine in one of your books who would you be?
luvfuzzzeeefaces at yahoo dot com

Deb :o) said...

I've never read anything from you but this series sounds great! & how many books do you plan on writing for this series?

Deb :o)
Deborahhansen52@yahoo.com

flchen1 said...

Ooh, I've been reading good things about this series, Dianne! And I love the theme of transformation or redemption--it's a very powerful journey to read, and I love that you've included it in your series. Did you intend from the beginning to write these as a series? How much of the stories did you plot up front, and what elements did you know from the start?

f dot chen at comcast dot net

Dianne Duvall said...

This is my first series. Darkness Dawns and Night Reigns were the first two books and Phantom Shadows will be the third. Right now I can tell you there will be at LEAST six books and one novella in the series. :-)

Thanks for joining us!

Dianne Duvall said...

Hi, April! Actually, I believe Melanie inspires Bastien to leave being a villain and become a hero. Before the two of them began spending time together, he was still somewhat on the fence. ;-)

And my Immortal Guardians series was inspired by a number of things, including my love of vampires romances, my desire to find a new take on the genre, and a documentary I saw in which historians suggested a misunderstanding of certain illnesses like porphyria were at the root of traditional vampire lore. :-)

Dianne Duvall said...

Hi, Julianne! I think I would be Sarah, the heroine in Darkness Dawns, because we share a love of music. :-)

Dianne Duvall said...

Hi, Deb! Thanks for joining us! I haven't decided yet how many books will be in the series, but know there will be at LEAST six. :-)

Dianne Duvall said...

I did intend to write a series when I began penning Darkness Dawns. I had a general notion of where I wanted the series to lead, but usually don't know who the hero and heroine of the next book will be until I'm halfway through the current manuscript. When I wrote Darkness Dawns, for example, I had no idea that the villain, Bastien, would be the hero of the third book, Phantom Shadows, though I DID know who the villain of that one would be. :-)

Tonya Burrows said...

Roland is my newest book boyfriend. :-) I discovered your series a couple months ago on Audible and have been impatiently waiting for the next book ever since. Usually I'm pretty good at figuring things out (like Seth's secrets--grr, what is he hiding from the immortals?!?) but every time I think I've figured Seth out, something else pops up. You've kept me guessing, that's for sure!

What are some of your favorite series and why?

toyia allen said...

I am soooo hooked on your books, and I am excitedly waiting for Phantom Shadows this October. Have you already started the 4th and who is it about??? I just can't wait for Seth's story. Thank you for sharing you talent!!

aromagik said...

I really need to read this series, especially knowing that you've written a villain-turned-hero. I love those. :)

You said you & Sarah share a love of music. Do you listen to anything in particular when you're writing?

~Lindy

sheryl said...

I found your series by accident and I was hooked from the beginning! Love the characters and storylines. Out of all of your characters, which one is your favorite and why?

Sheryl

Sheryll1974@netscape.net

Millybuwee said...

My Question Dianne is, when will David have his onw book. He is so mysterious, and we the readers are in the dark about his origins.

Elizabeth H. said...

Hi Dianne!! I love this series and can't wait for Phantom Shadows! My question is, do you think that you will ever write a spinoff series based off of Ami's "background"?
(I don't want to spoil who/what Ami is for those who haven't read Night Reigns)

Melissa P said...

I loved the frist book in this series. Sadly I have not been able to get the second one just yet. It is on my need to get list. Along with the third one. Hopefully I will be able to get them soon. Thanks for sharing the info and answering our questions. I didnt know there was going to be six. Now I am really excitted to keep reading. I am a huge sucker for series. Thanks again. :-)

marshab6 said...

Love vampires, guardians, and all sorts of supernatural romance. Looking forward to getting a friend to join me in this series. She and I share all the best books and I just know she'll be one book behind me, once I get started.

Sónia Cristina said...

I loved the 2 books in your series and I'm so anxious for book 3; I wish you could publish 4 or 5 books in a year!

I wanted to ask Dianne: is there a author that inspired you to create this series, a paranormal series?

Dianne Duvall said...

Hi, Tonya! I'm so glad you're enjoying my series! Thanks so much for giving it a try. :-) I have so many favorite series by so many authors. Some of my favorite paranormal authors are Alexandra Ivy, Gena Showalter, Kresley Cole, Lynsay Sands, Christine Feehan, and Kerrelyn Sparks just to begin. Any author who pulls me into a story with likable, relatable characters and totally absorbs my interest with a fun, engaging plot becomes a favorite with me. :-)

Dianne Duvall said...

Hi, Toyia!

Yay! I'm so glad you like my Immortal Guardians! I'm actually working on two projects right now. The first is an Immortal Guardians novella, entitled "In Still Darkness" that will feature Richart as hero. You'll see a lot of him in Phantom Shadows. The novella will be part of the Predatory anthology, which will also features stories by Alexandra Ivy and Nina Bangs. The second is Book 4, which will feature Étienne as hero. :-)

Dianne Duvall said...

I usually prefer quiet when I write, but have been known to crank up Disturbed every once in awhile, particularly when orchestrating fight scenes. :-)

Dianne Duvall said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying the series! I think it's a toss-up between Seth and Ami. I love the courage Ami has shown in overcoming her torturous past and adapting to her new circumstances. She continues to do so in Phantom Shadows, which I hope you'll like. And Seth bears so many burdens and so much responsibility. I really admire his selfless determination to provide immortals with the best life possible and give them a family they won't have to watch age and die. David, too. :-)

Dianne Duvall said...

I haven't found the right heroine for David yet, so I'm not sure when his book will come. He does almost as much for the immortals as Seth does, so I really want him to have his HEA. I WILL say that he plays an interesting role in Phantom Shadows and does something I love in one of my favorite scenes. ;-) I hope you'll enjoy it!

Dianne Duvall said...

I currently don't have any plans for an Ami's Background series, but will tell you that a story related to that has been making frequent appearances in my imagination, so I won't rule it out. :-)

Dianne Duvall said...

Hi, Melissa! I'm thrilled to hear you liked Darkness Dawns and hope you'll like the others. I'm a sucker for series, too. When I get to know and like characters, I just hate to let them go. :-)

Dianne Duvall said...

Hi, Sónia! Great to see you here! I've always loved paranormal romance, particularly vampire romances, so that love of preternatural things always found a way into my manuscripts, even when I wrote historical romance. :-) You might say all of my favorite authors inspired me to pursue a career as a writer because, like them, I wanted to earn a living doing something I really loved to do. But, as far as my series goes, I merely wanted to put my own personal stamp on the vampire romance genre and do something a little different. :-)

Tina said...

Melissa P email me at Kalisto@roadrunner.com you are the winner please put the name of the contest in the subject line