Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Alexandra Ivy - and CONTEST


First I want to thank Redz World for inviting me to drop by for a visit. There are few things I enjoy more than the opportunity to speak with fellow readers who love the paranormal! And that’s what I always consider myself an avid reader who just happens to write!
Over the past few months I’ve been thinking a lot about the fun twists and turns of the paranormal romance and urban fantasy genres. When this wild ride first began it was dominated by dark, brooding vampires. And most of them were evil, not the delicious alpha males who we’ve all come to love. 
Who could ever have predicted the remake of classic lit with flesh eating zombies? Or the popularity of steampunk? Or the infusion of high fantasy with contemporary romance? I LOVE the fluid nature of the market and the fact that we as readers are willing to take a chance on writing that’s waaaaaay outside the boxJ. I think the very fact that the paranormal genre refuses to be pinned down with the same rules and expectations that make other genres seem stale is what has kept it so popular. And as it continues to evolve I believe it will only attract new readers and writers.
My own series, The Guardians of Eternity, is a mishmash of genres. I did truly start off trying to write dark and broody. In my mind the clan of Chicago vampires who became the Guardians of Eternity were supposed to be aloof and mysterious and, oh, so dangerous. But along the way, I came up with a snarky gargoyle named Levet, and several characters that couldn’t be dark and broody if their lives depended on it.
In the end, I’ve combined my love for horror, fantasy, adventure, and, overall, romance into a strange brew…oh, and a fairly large dash of humor (or at least what passes as humor for meJ). It’s been so much fun creating my own world without restrictions, and I hope that comes through in the stories.
My question is why do you think paranormals are so popular and what you think the future holds? Dust off your crystal ball and give me a hint of what you hope to see more of, or perhaps invent something entirely new!! 
Much love,
Alex


 giveaway of When Darkness Comes to a winner in the US or Canada 

Post away!

 

9 comments:

Debby said...

I think paranormals are so popular because of the unknown aspect. Keeps you thinking and nothing is impossible.
debby236 at gmail dot com

April Alvey said...

Paranormal's Are So Popular Because People Love The Unexpected And In Love With The Idea Of There Actually Being Vampires And Werewolves. As For The Future I Think The World In Is For A Huge Change And Alot Of Things That Are Supposed To Be Myths And Just For Stories Just Might Be True. So Many People Are Experimenting With Chemicals So Who Knows What Might Happen. butterfli262002@yahoo.com

Andrea I said...

I think paranormals are popular because they're about things you've heard about. Most everyone has heard of angels, vampires, werewolfs and zombies. The books bring them to life.

ainfingerATcomcastDOTnet

Julianne Keller said...

I think paranormals are so popular because they are an escape from reality. I like reading vampires from different authors because they all write so differently. Paranormal is exciting and always leaves to the reader's mind what if.......
I think in the future, the stories will only get better and more exciting.
luvfuzzzeeefaces at yahoo dot com

Deb :o) said...

Paranormal are so popular because they give you something that gets your mind off everything & into a diffrent world that has adventure! I mean who doesn't want adventure even if it just in a book & not your real life! Its a home away from home. Well thats what I think :)

& what the future holds....lets just hope it has interesting new paranirmals that nobody really thought of!

Deb :o)
Deborahhansen52@yahoo.com

crazycatlady58 said...

Paranormal is a great escape a fantastic way to get away at a price most of us can afford. Thank you for a opportunity to have fantastic journey through words.

flchen1 said...

I think many of us enjoy reading about topics we find a bit mysterious and fascinating--paranormal definitely is that. It's a way of ensuring that the story truly "takes you away"... But also, I think we sometimes like to imagine what it might be like if those elements were real, and again, books ARE magic :)

f dot chen at comcast dot net

aromagik said...

I've wondered the same thing, and I think it's partly because the heroes can be written to be so spectacular and sexy, even more than the "regular" heroes that we know & love. They're even more dark & brooding, have extra abilities, and are often intense and devoted lovers. Who wouldn't feel special if their thousand-year-old lover has chosen them as their one & only, right?

Tina said...

Aromagik please email kalisto@roadrunner.com
put the name of the contest in the header will pass your information on to kensington. ohh you won lol that helps to mention