Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Touch of the Gods: The Wager. By Author DX Luc



I'm taking a detour from my busy writing schedule to meet up with the the hero of the book Touch of the Gods: The Wager. And while I'm not too worried how it will turn out, I am not sure how one conducts themselves with a Greek god. After speaking with my close friend, I decide to just be myself and hope for the best.

Wearing my best 1950s inspired dress, I wait outside my hotel for the ride I was told is coming to pick me up. It has been a long time since I traveled by limo, so I wasn't ashamed to say I was excited by the whole prospect. That is...until a large yet ornately decorated chariot pulls up in a cloud of dust. I shield my eyes with one hand while holding down the polka dotted dress with the other. No need flashing any of the other gawkers on the street.

“Are you Miss Luc?” The voice is gruff and thick with an old Greek accent.

Slowly I lower my hand and find my mouth dropping at the man behind the wheel—er reins of the ancient vehicle. Unable to find my voice, I can only nod while I rudely stare.

He frowns but doesn't call my blatant disregard out. Instead he blinks his one, ocean blue eye and stares right back at me. “Well then, you need to come on so we can go. You're meeting my master, Hephaestus, right?”

A cyclops! Here in my small state of Delaware and he's holding his large hand out for me. How amazing and slightly unnerving. Regardless, I take hold and the breath whooshes out of me as I fall into his large body. He's a big guy or immortal. Whichever. He smiles with kindness making me return the gesture.

“Hold on! We're about to fly.” The excitement in his words almost thrilled me.

I say almost because my fear washed over me like a heavy blanket when the two wheeled contraption took to the skies. I stand in front of him, my nails in a death grip upon the gold railing and I managed to keep my screaming to a seven out of ten. Go me.

“I am Frias, Miss Luc. We're almost there.” He yells, though whether it is over the wind blasting past our ears or my wails of terror, I am not sure. But as he said, in no time the tip of a slumbering volcano came into view.

As the mountain came closer, my heart sped up and nearly burst when we entered through the wide base. Parking the chariot, Frias guides me through a busy forge filled with more monster sized cyclopes. He leads me back until I'm sitting in a simple but lovely living room. My mind is organizing the questions I have for my interviewee when I hear a deep and resonating voice from behind.

“Good evening, Miss Luc. Hope your ride went well. Shall we begin?” He is huge! Bigger than life and the power radiating from him is nearly suffocating.

Swallowing past the lump formed in my throat, I smile as he takes the seat across from me. Time to get down to business.

Me: Good evening to you as well. You are Hephaestus, god of inventions, blacksmiths, and volcanoes. When do you get free time to be with loved ones?
Heph: It's difficult to be with my loved ones as work always takes up my day. I am trying harder to find freedom to be with them. My wife's cookies often help.

I laugh at that because my kids always stop for some cookies as well. 

Me: So a sweet tooth, huh? What's your favorite thing to do?

Heph: My wife. You see the evenings are the only times I can enjoy the pleasures of my sweet Vanessa.

Me: Speaking of Vanessa. I have to know, what made you choose her? I mean you were with Aphrodite, Goddess of Love.

At the sound of his ex-wife's name he frowned. Oops.

Heph: Vanessa is the only love I've ever had, ever wanted. Aphrodite doesn't hold a olive branch to her.

Me: That's the sweetest thing I've ever heard. She's a lucky woman.

Heph: I'm the lucky one, my dear.

Okay, that brings on a blush. He's good. Clearing my throat I change the pace of the conversation.

Me: Your brother has always made your life difficult. Have things settled and maybe gotten better between you two?

Heph: If by better you mean I've found various ways to sneak scorpions into his life. Everyone needs more scorpions, don't you agree?

I laugh and nod.

Me: Yes they do, I guess. So after learning the secret your ex wife kept from you, how has your life changed?

The flames in his pupils flicker and dim slightly.

Heph: It still angers me to know what she did and I hope Karma makes her pay later. That being said, I am glad how it turned out for all of us. Best secret ever.

Me: That's beautiful Hephaestus.  Now before I end this interview, is there anything you'd like to tell the world about your story that would make them want to go out and read it?

He tilts his head in thought before giving me a lopsided smile.

Heph: Only that my tale is one of love. Not just any love, but that of two people who believed they were worth nothing more save the ground they stood upon. As Eros says, love is about taking a leap of faith and I am proud that I did.
I smile and stand after he does, shaking his massive hand.

Me: Thank you so much for your time, Hephaestus.

Heph: You're most welcome. Let me call Frias for you so that he may take you home.

My heart speeds up with unattained glee.

Me: The chariot again?

He laughs, his eyes twinkling.

Heph: My lovely Vanessa was the same way. Scared of the thing until she had her first ride. Now she's addicted. But yes, now come.

******
As I sit back on the bed in my hotel room, I smile jotting down the notes from the interview. I have to say Hephaestus is by far one of the most sweetest immortal men I've met. Not that I've ever met one before him. But still.

I hope those that read this enjoy his company as much as I did and go out to get his story Touch of the Gods: The Wager. I believe it will be totally worth it.







Blurb:
When love and war makes a little wager, what could possibly go wrong?

I am Hephaestus. God of inventions, blacksmiths, and volcanoes. Sounds like I'm awesome right? Well, I'm not. In fact, I'm the loser of Olympus and a new bachelor to boot. Living the single life is great until a decade passed. Honestly if my divorce from the Goddess of Love wasn't bad enough, I am still being rejected by the other women of my home.

Because of an incessant need to make me a pawn in his game, my brother, Ares convinces Eros to make a little bet. A wager that puts my lack of love life to the test. Sent to Earth, I'm skeptical, when suddenly I lose myself in the sensual scent and beauty of the full bodied Vanessa. She is my everything, my perfection.

Sadly, from a single caress upon her silky flesh, I sent our lives into a downward spiral of hell. To save her, I must get beyond my demons of the past. And to save me, she will have to decide if I'm worth giving up everything for.

  I'm also giving away the signed bookmarks to four winners


Thank you for coming to the blog!!  Did you see that four winners get signed book markers! so leave a comment and be entered to win!
 

2 comments:

D. X. Luc said...

Thank you for having me here!

Yvette said...

Great excerpt..I look forward to reading the book.
Yvette
yratpatrol@aol.com