Thursday, May 19, 2011

Playing For Keeps By Jaydyn Chelcee and Commentary


BLURB: Playing For Keeps By Jaydyn Chelcee

A touch of fire ignites a shocking murder…
From the moment Flayme Jansen looked into the slumberous green eyes of the sexy cowboy from Rimrock, Montana, she knew she was in trouble. But she’d never been in his kind of trouble: being taken into custody and placed in a witness protection program for national security.
Duel Remington has a job to do and no matter how difficult the feisty redhead makes it, he’s determined to protect her. Even if it means facing long cold nights handcuffed to the woman whose life he’s trying to save.
In the dead of winter…one man. One woman. One assassin. All are Playing For Keeps!

http://www.jaydynchelcee.com

EXCERPT FROM PLAYING FOR KEEPS/BOOK FOUR/CHELCEE
“Look, if you wanna shower, it’s now or never. Once I hit the bed, I’m not budging, and neither are you.”
“Let go,” she ordered, and jerked away from his grasp. “Keep your hands off me.”
“Don’t flatter yourself, honey. Women like you grow on trees in the D.C. area.”
“Women like me?”
“Senator’s playthings? You know, bouncing the old mattress? Rocking the old headboards? Putting out?”
She clenched her fists at her sides. “I am not some Senator’s toy.”
“Special agent’s toy, then. Same difference. You’re a political plaything.”
“Ooh, more than you can ever imagine, cowboy, but I’m―”
“What,” he growled, fury etching his face.
She shook her head. “I don’t understand. What are you so pissed off about?”
“Are you denying you’re in Mac’s stable?”
“I’m a mare, now? This just gets better and better.”
“Deny it. Give me a reason not to be pissed.”
Flayme opened her mouth, then closed it with a snap. “I’m not going to deny anything to you. I don’t owe you an explanation.”
“No, you don’t. But, doll baby, don’t play coy and innocent with me, I know better.”
“What gets your goat the most, Mr. Hot Shot Agent, the fact that Mac beat you to me or because I belong to him, so you can’t or won’t touch me?”
“Wouldn’t count on the ‘won’t,’” he said absently, parting the drapes a mere inch and peeking outside.
“What?
“Nothing.” He fiddled with the curtains, making sure they closed tightly. “What gave you the idea I want to touch you?”
It dawned on Flayme that he wasn’t really absorbing the conversation. He was saying the words, but that’s exactly what he was doing, saying the words. He wasn’t into the conversation. He was immersed in checking their surroundings, but giving her his watered-down version of lip service. For some reason, it made her angrier to know he wasn’t really tuned in to their conversation. “Oh, you know, there’s a certain little pointy part of your body that just gives you away, cowboy.”
“Huh.” Suddenly he whipped around eyeing her.
It struck her that although he’d given the impression he was only half listening to her, he’d been paying closer attention than she’d thought.
“Don’t flatter yourself, honey. I haven’t had a woman in a―let’s just say it’s been a long, dry spell. If a mosquito bumped against my zipper I’d get a hard-on right now.”
Flayme lifted a brow. “A long, dry spell, huh?”
“Don’t let it trouble your pretty little head, sweetheart. I told you, you aren’t my type.” He tore off his denim coat and draped it across the back of the only chair in the room. With just that small movement, he groaned and what little color he had left drained away, leaving his face pale as the snow outside on the ground.
Flayme bit her lower lip and sent up another silent prayer that he didn’t die on her. Her eyes widened as she slowly scanned his body. Good grief, the man was armed to the gills. A shoulder holster fit snug against his side. When he turned to lock the door, she saw a second weapon at the small of his back. “You have one of those tucked in your boot, too?”
“What?” He frowned, dragging the chair across the room and jamming it beneath the doorknob, making the room as secure as possible.
“You expecting an invasion?” she asked, half joking. The other half of her mind darkened with fear. If he was this concerned, she thought maybe she should be too, or at the least, a bit more alert of what was going on around her. His unease worried her, because it meant there was something more than someone taking potshots at a little nobody CIA secretary.
 
Jaydyn Chelcee Bio:

Jaydyn Chelcee has spent most of her life in Oklahoma, her home state, but at the same time, she’s traveled extensively, at least in the western half of the United States. One of her favorite settings in her contemporary western romances is Montana. She’s the author of the best selling Montana Men series, In the Arms of Danger, No Holds Barred, Too Close to the Fire, and Playing For Keeps.

A member of the Oklahoma Writer’s Federation, Inc., her paranormal romances, the Winslow witches of Salem series, written under Tabitha Shay have been nominated for several awards, including the prestigious P.E.A.R.L. Award for Witch’s Moon was nominated for Best All Around Paranormal in 2008 and Witch’s Fire, Runner-up for Best Paranormal Book of 2010 at LRC.

Coming soon from Moongypsy Press: WILD, book five in the Montana Men series.

All current releases available at Amazon.com
http://www.jaydynchelcee.com



Blogger Commentary from Author




E-PUBLISHING CONTRACTS--ARE THEY WORTH THE PAPER THEY’RE NOT WRITTEN ON?


Good Morning, Readers:
Before we get started, I’d like to thank Tina for asking me to be her guest blogger today. It’s always a fun time to chat with this lady. Today I’m going to talk about something that is near and dear to all authors’ hearts—our copyrights and when they’re infringed upon.
It seems these days there’s so much controversy in the E-publishing world that I’m sure there are many of you, who like me, are ready to throw in the proverbial towel and say, “To hell with it! Is it really worth it?”
That all depends on you and how you feel about your work. There are some authors out there who shrug off pirates and say it’s a good thing. What?? Not me! How about you?
Personally, I’ve worked my butt off day and night and stolen time from my family just so I could feel that wonderful sense of accomplishment of completing my novel. I’ll be damned if I want if pirated, given away or have my hundred thousand word novel sold for ninety-nine cents, then never get paid and have to fight WWIII just to regain the rights back to something that is mine to begin with.
Ah, but before all that, there’s the search for what you hope will be the perfect publisher, the one who will accept your work and offer you THE CONTRACT.
Woo hoo! After months of searching and receiving rejections you finally get the email that nearly stops your heart—your novel has been accepted, and by golly, there’s the contract to prove it! You Snoopy Dance all around the house; you share the news with family and friends, and maybe even celebrate with a glass of wine or champagne.
You read over the contract and hey, it sounds pretty darn good, but just how experienced are you when it comes to understanding the details of the endless pages of this paper that’s going to basically indenture your book for about three years? I’ve recently discovered that in the case of some publishers, I better know the meaning of…YOU CAN ASK FOR THE RIGHTS TO YOUR BOOK BACK ANYTIME…I’m here to say…DON’T YOU BELIEVE IT, and you might want to get a clarification in writing of that statement before signing!
One publisher that I’ll leave unnamed will straight out tell you, “You can ask, but that doesn’t mean you will receive.” This publisher even went so far as to tell one poor author to look up the definition, then clearly refused to relinquish the rights back to the author.
In most cases, “you can ask” comes with an outrageous price tag. Now I understand if I sign an agreement and the publisher goes to the trouble of investing in my book, a cover, edits, time, etc., then yes, if I ask for my rights back before they’ve even had a chance to publish the book I contracted, then sure, I should pay a reasonable fee to obtain the rights back. However, some E-publishers are charging outlandish prices of up to a thousand bucks or more for an author to obtain her rights back, and some of these places charge this much even if they have very little invested in the book, or even if the book has been out awhile and isn’t selling. In this case, it’s going to cost the author big bucks to get back what she thinks is hers.
Then….oh, let me tell you about THEN! There are the publishers who balk even when you’ve fulfilled your obligations and have decided you don’t want to renew your contracts. …you just want the rights released back to you so you can move on and re-publish your books with another house. Don’t ever assume it’s going to always be so simple. …Nope, let me share my recent experience.
My contracts had all expired, and now I wanted a release letter just to have to show to future publishers that these books were now mine again. I sent a certified letter to said publisher, -- no acknowledgement.  So I sent a follow-up email. Still no reply. I’m patient. I realize the CEO is busy, so I wait two more months and send another email, in which I’m promptly told to have patience and not to email again.
So how long am I supposed to be patient? Another month? Six months? A year? Hey, my contracts have expired; just send me the damn letter! How hard can it be? Okay. At last, I have the letter, a month and a half later! I’m so darned relieved. Now I can contract these books out to a new publisher who has accepted them.
I’m excited because these books will get new edits, new covers. Yep, I sign a couple of new contracts, only to learn that some thirty days past when the old publisher had assured me they’d have my books down from their sites as well as the sites of other distributors, within this length of time, that not only is said publisher still selling my books that they no longer have a right to, but they have even put them on sale at a site I’ll leave unnamed. By the way, it states in most contracts that once the contract expires, the publisher will remove your books from their site as well as all others they’ve listed them on, so this should be done by the publisher automatically. One shouldn’t have to beg, nag or pull teeth to get this done.
However, when the publisher drags their heels, things can get really complicated. So, ladies/gents, remember one thing. You only sign to the publisher to SELL your book. They don’t own the rights to your book.
Though sometimes it seems hopeless, I recently learned there are laws to protect the author and their WORK!
It’s a little complicated, but well worth the effort if your copyrights are being infringed upon. And trust me, there are not only the pirate sites, but as you can see, some publishers who do this as well.
 Some of you will already know of the DMCA, but others, like me, might never have heard of it.
What does it mean? It stands for Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
It’s a simple little Take Down form you fill out and send to the ISP server of the site that’s either pirating your book or infringing with your copyright in any way. Personally, I’m not that good at locating information I need, but I’m lucky. With the help of a very good friend who does know computers and another author friend of hers, they knew what I needed….
One thing I want to stress is that the take down notice has to be framed in the language of the DMCA, the idea being that the sender isn’t making an accusation, but a request. Staying with that language, even when we know for sure our rights are abused, is the best way to avoid legal trouble with the ISP. You’ll want to check out a few things for yourself :
OCILLA (Online Copyright Infringement Liability Limitation Act) article at Wiki: 

And here’s the link to attorney Carolyn E. Wright’s explanation for how to do a takedown notice. Although she dedicates herself to protecting photographer’s rights on the internet, the take down process works the same for all intellectual propertyhttp://rising.blackstar.com/how-to-send-a-dmca-takedown-notice.html 

Since there’s one way of sending a takedown notice to an online vendor and another way of doing it if you’re sending it to the ISP, you might want to Google “sample DMCA take down notice” and “DMCA take down notice for ISP” 

Did the DMCA notices I sent out work? Like a charm. Once I notified the ISP servers of the infringements, they had no choice but either notify the site and remove my copyrighted material that was infringed, or close down the website of the place that was infringing my work. By law, they have to act quickly, within twenty-four hours or so.
So, authors, for those of us who don’t like our work infringed upon…there is a God!
Thank you to author, Janet Elizabeth Jones, for your research in this matter, and telling me how to word the “take down” notices.
And now, I hope you’ll all enjoy the blurb and excerpt from my latest release, Playing for Keeps, Book Four of the Montana Men series released by Moongypsy Press. Please leave a comment for the chance to win an E-copy of PFK.
Hugs,
Jaydyn Chelcee  







9 comments:

Trent said...

Awesome post! Thanks for the info!

Tabitha Shay said...

Thanks for coming by, Trent and TY, glad u liked the post....Jaydyn

Terra Pennington said...

One of my favorite series can't wait to read this one and the others to come. You know I love your books Tabitha so keep them coming.

Terra

Tabitha Shay said...

Hi Terra,
Thanks for dropping by...and I'm always happy to hear from a fan....Hugs...

Lorrie said...

Love your series and can't wait to read the latest.

Thanks for the info on getting your rights back. I didn't know that and if I should run into trouble, you're my 'go to' gal.
Great post, one of the more informative and helpful ones I've read. Always good to be aware of what just may happen.

Sloane Taylor said...

LOVE, LOVE the excerpt, Jaydyn!!!

I'm sorry you had so much trouble reclaiming your rights. Nothing like dealing with a disreputable publisher. groan.

Tabitha Shay said...

Hi, Lorrie,
Thanks for dropping by. So glad you like the 'rights' article. If u ever need me, u know how to reach me. Hugs...Jaydyn

Tabitha Shay said...

Hey, Sloane,
Thanks for coming by. Glad u loved the excerpt. ur right, an author shouldn't have to go to such lengths, should, she?...Hugs, Jaydyn.

Anita said...

Thank you so much for great books! I love them all and I can't wait to read Playing for keeps!