Saturday, February 19, 2011

Interview with author Denysé Bridger






Tell us a little about yourself and how long you’ve been writing.  Have you always gravitated toward being an author?

For as long as I can remember I’ve written in one for or another. I spent 20 years honing my story-telling by writing fan fictions for my favorite television shows. Won awards with that, then I turned to creating my own worlds and I’ve never looked back; that was in 2004, and in the past 7 years I’ve seen several dozen books released, most of which are still available, or soon will be again!


What do you hope every reader gets out of your books?

Mostly, I hope I’ve entertained people, and given them an escape from whatever troubles they’re living with. None of us lives a perfect life, and often times it’s overwhelming, that when you need an escape that promises a happily ever after, or maybe a fantasy to make you heart race a little bit. At the core of all books, the author must entertain, first and foremost.


Where do you get your ideas from?  Are any from real life?

Some ideas come from real life, but mostly I draw my ideas from images, or songs, or stray bits of conversation. Sometimes I look around and if the light is right, or the silence falls in the right moment, a story is born instantly. Everything stirs my imagination.


Do you have any rituals you follow when writing?  Do you “celebrate” each new book’s release?

No rituals of any kind... I just write. I can pick up a pen and a notebook and begin a novel, or just come and go all day long and the words come as I have time to write them. I used to celebrate every book release, now I often don’t notice them. It usually takes some to remind me, and then I do my announcements, etc., but it’s mostly lost its big thrill. There are still some that excite me – if I’ve tried something new, like the current one, the ménage story – that was a first for me, so I feel a bit nervous about it.


Have you ever experienced writer’s block?  If so, how have you coped with it?

No writer’s block – I run the other way – I have too many ideas. I write everything down, though. Because I figure sooner or later, I’m going to just stare and the screen and nothing will happen – then I’ll turn to my notebooks and file folders!!

What makes a book good in your eyes?

A good book is one that touches your heart and your mind, it makes you live the story while you’re reading it, and you put it down with a sense of having been part of something special. If you feel nothing at the end of a book, I don’t see it as a success, no matter how well it’s written.


If you could switch places with one of the characters in your books, who would it be and why?

I don’t know that I’d want to be any of my characters. I like who I am and mostly I think life is what it’s supposed to be... if I had to choose one, I would probably be Amarantha from my fantasy novel AS FATE DECREES. She’s a warrior in service to the gods, and she travels through time, but remains loyal to the one god she serves above all others, Ares, the god of war.


What publishing houses are you with?  What is your most current release and who is it with?

My publishers are:

XoXo Publishing™
Ellora’s Cave
Liquid Silver Books
New Dawning International Book Fair
Samhain Publishing
Moodgypsy Press
Noble Romance Publishing
Solstice Publishing
Ravenous Romance
EDGE Science Fiction & Fantasy Publications

I had FOUR books come out last weekend, so it was amazing. Three with XoXo Publishing™ and my first all out erotica ménage tale with New Dawning.


What’s the craziest job you’ve ever held?  Have you ever used anything from this job in any of your stories?

Craziest job? Wow – I think this one is it, Tina!!


Where can readers find you?



I also have pages at Manic Readers, The Romance Studio, a forum at Coffeetime Romance, Linked In, The Author’s Den, etc., so I’m around!!

Thanks so much, Tina!!



Please leave some comments below! 

8 comments:

Brigit Aine said...

Hello Tina and Denyse...two of my favorite people right here...amazing...Denyse as always an amazing job...all those releases...including this yummy menage...SWEET!!!!

Miriam Newman said...

Denyse, would you consider donating an energy transplant? :) Great post.

Denysé said...

Thank you, ladies - and thanks to Tina for having me as her guest! Energy transplant? Oh Miriam if you only knew how lagging my energy has been since last year! It amazes me that I get anything done! Thanks so much to you both!! HUGS to all!!

Teresa K. said...

Denyse,

Thanks for the amazing 90/10 story on the groups site today it was great and I needed it.

The cover for Stranded is great and I look forward to reading it. Love the blurb and excerpt today also. Or was it yesterday. lol

Teresa,
tcwgrlup41 (at) yahoo dot com

She said...

Wow, you've been busy. What's the hardest part of getting all the books ready for release at one time?

Celtic Chick said...

Hi Denyse,

Congrats on all your recent releases.

Best wishes!

XoXo Publishing said...

Hi Denyse,
Great job keep it up. Gina
http://www.facebook.com/pages/XoXo-Publishing/258678558724

Brianna Martini Official Blog said...

Hello Denyse,
Wishing you much success at XoXo Publishing. You're the best of the best!
Brianna xo